Friday, May 18, 2007

Hello from Kanazawa!

I`m writing from an internet cafe in Kanazawa where I`m visiting Hilary Barry, a friend from illinois weslyan. If your interested in her story please check out:

japanadventure.livejournal.com

she is in Kanazawa teaching english to young children.

Kanazawa is apperantly called little Kyoto because of all the old buildings that are here. It`s situated on the coast of the Gulf of japan basicaly streight across from Tokyo. I came by bus, which was about a 7 hour ride, but extreamly injoyable. we stoped many times at stations and the bus was nearly empty. When I arived I checked out the Phonograph museum first. They have a working edison.

Edison was an incredible guy. recorded sound, invented electricity. I don`t think he gets the respect he deserves.

Then I saw a Samurai`s home, with an incredible garden. Apperantly the isalias there have been blooming for over 300 years.

Then, after geting lost, I came to Freaks internet cafe where I write now. Tomarrow I think I`m going to go to the castle here and maby hike up the mountain trail. I leave Sunday at 10:10 meaning I`ll get back to Tokyo around 5:00. Then I can do the homework I`ve been putting off. . . woops

I had a very interesting experiance yesterday. I was begining to look like Tevya from fiddler on the roof, so I desided to get a hair cut and beard trim. I asked my homestay parents where I could get said things and they hooked me up with a friend of theres who worked at a salon. Ok, well first off the trim cost me 3500¥ which is like 35 bucks. I was a little miffed but i figured maby hair cuts are just expensive and it was a little late to turn back now. What I had gotten myself into, however, was steeped in Japanese culture. They don`t cut your hair here, they give you a salon experiance. First a was wraped in several layers of cloth, then my hair was lightly trimed and cut by a very friendly man who tried to comunicate the best he could. Then he shampooed and massaged my sholders and head with oil. Then, with lather and razor (sweet!), shaved my nech, forehead, and cheeks. after he finnished with trimming everything up. I belive this is common in Japan. People`s apperance is very inportant here, so people tend to splurge of haircuts, makeup, and clothes. Of course this is a generality, but never the less... Also men and women are increasinglt resiving the same sort of teatment. It`s not uncommen for young men to get manacures, die thier hair, pluck thier eyebrows, and use makeup. As one speaker pyt it, "there is a lessening of the differences between sexes... in the area of clouths and fassion."

omoshiroii. See yous latter.

No comments: